Have you ever wanted to annotate your images like you can on Flickr and Facebook? It was fun but when I look for wordpress plugin to integrate similar functionality to the superwhite site and none was available. So I found JQuery Image Annotation from Chris with PHP support from GitHub. In a week, I had written my first plugin for WordPress called demon-image-annotation, the concept of annotating images with user comments. In recent posts you might notice there is a new button name “Add Note” on each images when you rollover, that would allows you to add textual annotations to images by select a region of the image and then attach a textual description. Here try it for yourself.
Updated on 26-09-2012
=== demon image annotation ===
Tags: comment, comments, image, images, note, annotation
Requires at least: 2.5
Tested up to: 3.4
Stable tag: 2.5.4
Allows you to add textual annotations to images by select a region of the image and then attach a textual description.
== Description ==
This plugin allows you to add textual annotations to images by select a region of the image and then attach a textual description, the concept of annotating images with user comments.
Integration with JQuery Image Annotation from Chris (http://www.flipbit.co.uk/jquery-image-annotation.html) with PHP support from GitHub (http://github.com/stas/jquery-image-annotate-php-fork).
* Admin page
* Option to approve, edit amd remove image notes in admin page.
* Auto insert unique id attribute for all the images for image note.
* Show notes on other pages such as home and archive.
* Gravatar in the notes
* Option to sync with wordpress comments.
* Option to show thumbnail in comment list.
* Option to include post id in every auto insert images id.
* ‘Mouseover to load notes’ on top of every image note (editable).
* ‘Link’ on top of every image note if hyperlink image (editable).
== Installation ==
1. Put the plugin folder into [wordpress_dir]/wp-content/plugins/
2. Go into the WordPress admin interface and activate the plugin
3. Choose the settings you want in demon-image-annotation settings.
4. Complete usage instructions are available here. (http://www.superwhite.cc/demon/image-annotation-plugin)
The plugin version 2.0 onward will auto insert id for every images, unless you want to do it manually.
Here is the guide on how to insert image ID attribute manually.
– To embed annotations and comments on images, you must insert id attribute start with ‘img-‘ follow by unique id (ex img-7654321).
– Make sure all the images have unique and different id else you will get the same comments.
– All the images from my blog is from flickr, so I grab the last parameters from flickr link as id which is uniqe. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30601564@N04/4774005463/
Add note to image: (Insert id attribute “img-4774005463″)
<img id="img-4774005463" src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4774005463_3837b6de44_o.jpg" width="900" height="599" alt="Image Annotation Plugin" />
Disable add note button to public: (Insert addable attribute equal to “false” to show add note button to admin only)
<img id="img-4774005463" addable="false" src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4774005463_3837b6de44_o.jpg" width="900" height="599" alt="Image Annotation Plugin" />
Exclude image note: (Insert id attribute “img-exclude”)
<img id="img-exclude" src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4774005463_3837b6de44_o.jpg" width="900" height="599" alt="Image Annotation Plugin" />
The plugin version 2.0 onward provide settings to enable thumbnail in comment area.
To add thumbnails to your comments list manually, just add the php code below in your comment callback function.
<?php getImgID(); ?>
== Changelog ==
= 2.5.4 =
* Thumbnail resize fixed.
* Thumbnail preloader.
= 2.5.2 =
* Fixed addable for admin only.
= 2.5 =
* Fixed image annotation script.
* Fixed php JSON data.
* Fixed not workin in ie.
* New admin table list.
= 2.4.8 =
* Fixed MD5 not working.
= 2.4.7 =
* Fixed bugs.
= 2.4.6 =
* Fixed jquery conflict.
= 2.4.5 =
* Fixed missing add button.
= 2.4.4 =
* Added approve and unapprove button for selected image notes.
* Fixed table prefix issue
= 2.4.3 =
* Fixed on table name issue.
* Fixed pop up error while saving.
* Fixed image notes not loading (when comment or image note is not approve yet).
* Show error occured message when loading image notes timeout.
* Add option to remove HTML image tags.
= 2.4.1 =
* Fixed on Image Notes Tab not display in Safari browser.
= 2.4 =
* Fixed on Chrome and IE browsers.
= 2.3 =
* Fixed return and new line issue that cause image note stop loading.
= 2.2 =
* New image note as waiting approval even it is not sync with wordpress comment.
* Fixed image note not loading with special characters.
* Image note settings now is display for admin only.
* Customize default avatar for image note author gravatar.
= 2.1 =
* Rounded border.
* Add list of image notes in admin page.
* Add option to approve, edit and delete image notes.
* Add option to change mouseover description and image hyperlink name.
* Add option to lnclude post id in every auto insert images id.
* Fix issue of database prefix is not wp_.
* move author to top.
= 2.0 =
* Admin page
* Auto insert id attribute start with “img-“.
* Add notes to your uploaded pictures and embed pictures.
* Add author gravatar on notes.
* Add option to show image notes not only in single page but other pages such as home and archives.
* Add option which enable user to disable or enable noted image for admin only or every user.
* Add option which enable user to disable or enable WordPress commenting system.
* Add option which enable user to disable or enable noted image thumbnail at comment list.
* Add description on top of every image note ‘Mouseover to load notes’.
* Add link on top of every image note if hyperlink image.
= 1.2 =
* Delete comments
* Comment thumbnail hover
= 1.1 =
* Fix note overlap
* Image note user addable
== Admin screencap==
== Live Demo==